Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Chapter 9: Geography


After reading the chapter, I really liked the central focus topics for each grade level.  The chart below shows the benchmarks for grades kindergarten through sixth.  This chart seems to be a great learning speed for each grade level.  When I think of Geography I think of the big picture, the whole world.  I think of the locations of each country, the states and cities, characteristics of landscape and cultures in different areas.  I don't particularly think of the self in space or homes, schools and neighborhood.  But, the chart below starts out focusing on the self, then moves into the home and school; neighborhoods; community; the state, nation and world; United States, Canada and Mexico; finally Latin America, Europe, Russia, Middle East, Asia and Africa.  I think starting small will aide students in seeing the small components that make up the bigger picture and help them better understand Geography.  They would be able to take their time learning about each of the components and gain a deeper understanding of the material. 




1 comment:

  1. Libbi, I really appreciate your comments regarding the chapter and chart. I definitely agree, if we are to educate students we must begin through discovering oneself in space. Only then will students be able to make connections between self and the world, in order to expand their thinking.

    ReplyDelete